Classic Boatworks of Maine

 

At Hancock Point before heading home. Lets start at the ending!  Here is the Crusader with her new bottom.   As you can see she floats considerably above the water line she had when she was delivered. (We repainted it in the same position!)

From Hancock Point she headed home to the Boston area.

 

For a little back up ... we began this project for a customer in Massachusetts.  The Crusader was hauled up here in October '97 and work began almost immediately. 

As soon as we began to open her up we realized that this project was going to be a lot more involved than we had anticipated.  The rot in the bottom was extensive. 

We ended up by replacing the majority of the backbone.  This includes the entire keel, floor timbers, stem apron, top of stem as well as the chines.  We also replaced garboard planks, chine planks, transom frame and bottom transom plank, as well as other pieces here and there.

Following are pictures of the restoration.  We took many more but they do not lend themselves to the web page. For any who are interested in this process we can email you pictures of the keel replacement including some on setting up for the shaft log.

 

the keel opened up)

This is the apron of the keel once she was opened up and the new wood in place.  A rabbet was cut into the curve to accomodate the existing ribs.  Sheer muscle was used to spring the ribs apart enough to get the piece in there!

 

keel apron ready to be muscled into place

This photo shows the keel apron before we muscled it into place. It also shows the new chine piece. At the very right hand edge of the photo you can see the support used for the front of the boat once the apron was being opened up. This was to ensure that the boat would not lose her shape.

 

jgcclosedkeel.JPG (57288 bytes) Here is the apron with garboard plank in place.  At this point the support has been removed and the boat is again secure on her keel.

 

partially revarnished transom When doing a restoration project it is important to keep the wood covered with something after stripping.  This transom was stripped mostly by sanding, and then a base coat of varnish cut with 75% thinner, was applied with in 24 hours.  We did not want the sun to bleach the beautiful color of the natural mahogany.

 

starboard stern towards bow This shot shows the replacement frames in the transom and a part of the new starboard chine.

You can also see the transom is all varnished now.  It has 8 coats of Captain's Spar Varnish, sanded and tacked between most of the layers.  I have found that if I catch the varnish at just the right point I do not need to sand or tack between layers.  This is tricky and the humidity level has to be just perfect to pull it off!

 

almost ready to replace the stem and bow planks

Here is Marshall in front of the bow, much of the rotten material has been removed but as you can see there was still some to go before hitting solid material.

 

new planking in

Here is the bow with the new stem and new planking in place.  Mahogany was used for both the stem and the planking, fastened with silicon bronze (as were used through out the project) and bedded in 3M 5200.

 

Chris Craft Restoration

Recanvas a Canoe

Home

Traditional Prams

New Construction

New Toe Rail

 

Guest Book

Meet Us

Our Policy

Questions and Answers

Boats for Sale

 

Contact: Marshall and Jo Duhaime, Jr.

3 Duhaime Drive

Hancock, Me. 04640

email:  prambuilder at yahoo dot com